Saturday, October 22, 2005

Hell Night

I went home late last Thrusday night because I had to finish a program that I need to present for the up coming 6th National Convention on Deaf Education. I worked with a colleague that night and he was trully patient to all my dictations and demands. I was lording over the lab that night cuz the job needs to be really get done.Everyone was cooperative and did their job well. The only thing that was so bothersome was after we got things over I faced the time and realized how late it is---9pm! My colleague looked at me in the eyes as if to say "NINE PM!!!!" I tried to read the look of his expression but I said, "the trains closes at 11pm anyway, so it's safe and no worries." But we both looked kinda worried and unsure. We continued and did the last double check thingies before signing off the programs and computers. When we were done I headed out for the train station only to be greeted by a beautiful lady who was talking on her fone. The woman told me the staion is closed. "WHAT?" Geez, how do I go home? I saw the same worried look on the woman's face. Aw! I'm not alone in this predicment. I ran back to the college to ask for help. "Is there anyone who will be passing the same way as I?" all eyes looked at me. "I need to get to the next train station, at least!" Still nobody answered and one by one they averted their eyes and continued doing their own stuff. Geez! everybody are too tired tonight eh! I went out of the lab and ran back to the train station to double check. Hell! CLOSED.
What will I do now? I called a friend and asked for advice...I was told to hire a taxi instead of boarding a jeep or an FX. However, luckily I saw another colleague and I went with her aboard an FX. She told me where to drop and how to get to the next train station. I dropped out in Quiapo near the end of Mendoza street. I had to walk up the overpass. It was dark. I passed several couple walking the same way. I was walking alone in that dark passage way clad in a long dress with two slits on the sides, revealing my legs and I had on my rings and earings. Ohh my!!! what a way to be... I'm putting myself infront of danger. When I got at the other side of the road I discovered that I had to walk a much darker alley. CRIPES! I had to walk and run at the same time until I could no longer take the darkness so I had to run all the way until I reached safety.I sighed in relief. Finally, I'm in haven. I'm in the next train station and thus can go home safe and calm. But boy, I was pretty close a while back then... I was really scared cuz that place is notorious for thieves and maniacs. Nobody is safe there at night but I guess I am an exception. Thank God for my Angels!!!
I got home safe from physical harm but I wasn't safe from being tagged as PARANOID online. Shees! after telling my friend what happened and how I managed to escape that harrowing experience, I didn't expected to be called such as that word. Hmm?!? Do I expect some sympathy? erm...No, I didn't expect anything but I further didn't expect to be tagged like that either. Me, P-A-R-A-N-O-I-D?!? Well, I pondered for a minute and yes, I may sound like one. I am paranoid BUT online cuz I have all sort of virus protection aside from having my firewalls on and other preventive measures sometimes to an extent that it may cause damage to my pc. I scan as much as possible as I can and update both automatically and manually. I scan before and after going online. That's too much! However, me being paranoid in the outside world, where reality bites, I doubt I am paranoid to that extent. I was caught off guard that night. I didn't expect the station to be closed earlier than 9:30pm. I was wearing a nice dress and some jewelries because I didn't planned to go home so late and get stranded. I got scared for the reason I wasn't prepared and I was left alone to resolve my own situation in the middle of the night. Where I was that night is not even a pleasant place to be caught off guard. I was in the midst of the city of Manila. Where I dropped out was even worse! Being a woman and alone in the middle of the night is DANGEROUS in that place. So who won't be scared? I swore I would never work so late like that again. Never would I put myself at risk like that. That's not being paranoid. I am being cautious, I always am in everything. Experience has taught me a lot. I can't even walk around the small alley or corners of Cubao simply because I know the place isn't safe so why would I thread that path and risk myself? "Nobody is safe from thieves." My online friend told me after I told him that my 18th birthday necklace was snatched from me in Cubao. So, you see the place is not safe.... Nobody would enter a room where outside the door its says HIGHLY EXPLOSIVE! I stay within the malls whenever I go to Cubao and I stay within the safety areas of the trains. I don't thread below the road where its so chaotic and crawded. I experienced boarding a crammed bus and had my wallet stolen. That's traumatic cuz I haven't even paid the bus when my wallet was stolen. How do I explain that to the bus conductor who usually would think it's just another drama of passengers who comes abroad without any money. Well... those experiences taught me not to throw cautions in the wind.
I'm not stupid and definetely not paranoid either. I know what is good and bad for myself and therefore I know what measures to take and not to do. Life is like that, either you throw caution to the wind and run yourself at risk or better yet be safe and stay within safety lines to prevent further harm. People should know the rules and abide if they know what is good for them!

No comments: