Thursday, March 15, 2007

Seminar on Women in Crisis

I’m staying here in Mapayapa Village, Quezon City. This is the same place where I attended my college retreat before. However, I am not here on a retreat but on a seminar on Women in Crisis. As one of the Board of Trusty of a Deaf organization called Filipino Deaf Women Health and Crisis Center in the Philippines., I had to part take in this three day seminar. Everything is FREE! From our transportation expenses, lodging, food and materials necessary to use during the seminar. We also have a certificate of attendance after the training.

When I first joined the organization, I had no idea what Jen and Flor were talking about. Even Rachel who tried to explain what the organization is all about could not help me clearly understand the purpose. So they told me to come and see for myself. I thought about it for a bit and maybe it would be better to come with them and forget about my date on that day. So, I went despite on the way my date was calling me on my cellphone and asking where I am. Well, to hell with him! I decide it will be worth going to this organization and become a part of it than go out with the guy who is actually a two-timer! The girls and I went to a place near Edsa, where they were having the very first meeting of the organization. It was so surprising who are supporting and members of this organization. Some of my colleagues are members and a few others I know who does incredible work on Deaf organizations. Even Dr. Martinez is part of the organization…. In the beginning we would meet every first Saturday to discuss plans and other agenda. At first we have no place to meet and we would just meet in Starbucks Coffee Shops and later I volunteered to have the meeting in my place until they found an area in Philippines Federation of the Deaf‘s office. Raffy the former president of PFD helped us organize our meeting when we moved in. The organization’s first plan is to organize a seminar hence we are here in Mapayapa Village, today… I shared a room with Flor and across our room is Jen and a hearing person from another organization who also support Abused Women and Children’s group.
The seminar is a very enriching experience. I gained a lot of insight and what I should do in such cases of rape and abuse. I also learned and understood the laws now including the new ones that were passed or approved in he Senate bill… I cannot say or go much in details of what we had discussed here as it should be highly confidential. What I cannot forget though was the open discussion and in the end we were given some important copies of documents that we will need in advocating Women’s Rights and in helping victims of rape and abuse.

No comments: