Monday, November 05, 2007

Thank You

I met JV when I was in my pre-college days. I was 20 years old and he was 25. We have known each other for 15 years and his eldest brother became one of my closest friends. Here is our story that I have written as a poem…

JV, this is for you.

Thank you.

Thank you, for everything first
from the time you saw me
and looked at me from a distance.

Thank you,
for the curiosity that got the better of you
enough to muster the courage and not let the chance to slip away.

Thank you,
for taking the first step of breaking the ice.

Thank you,
for the very first time we met,
for the warm welcome you gestured
despite of my somewhat cold and unlikely response.

Thank you,
for all the time you took out
the effort to share about the ART of your world.

Thank you,
for the kind bold personality that you are,
for being talkative until I was caught off-guard
with something you said, that I have to grin in spite of myself.

Thank you,
for the first joyful laughter I had since,
I was temporarily shut out of my world.
Because from then on I learned to smile again, laugh whole heartedly,
And live a very carefree life.

Thank you,
for this new found freedom and discovery of my new self.

Thank you,

for trying to keep in touch
after we’ve gone on our own separate ways and worlds.

Thank you,
for the kind of life you choose to take
which indeed proved that the world can be quite small
for circumstance and coincidence to happen.


Thank you,
for the sweet memories of the second time we met.

Thank you,
for all the patience and risks you took and endured
just to keep me company while you were at work.

Thank you,
for sharing your views and opinions
as well as other ideas that made me look at certain points
and aspects in life which I almost failed to see.
Eventually, it changed some of my negative outlook
into a broader perspectives.

Thank you,
for taking a good interest to all the things I said
despite the barriers of communication.
For putting them not just in your mind
but as well as in your heart, in your life
and perhaps, even in your soul.


Thank you,
for enjoying to learn my language,
It was such a sincere gesture and respect.

Thank you,
for all the sense of humor
without making me lost my sanity and composure.
For giving me the opportunity to add some more wits
to myself through your own unique example.

Thank you,
for the great vibes we have shared
for that fleeting moments of our lives.

Thank you,
for all the promises you made
though you never kept them.
Because it definitely taught me a good lesson
and self discipline to keep my own words!


Thank you,
for the long passing of time and days
for all the blessings I have learned to count.

Thank you,
for never failing to remember me,
for all the same friends we have
no matter how they have come and gone.

Thank you,
for the short lapse
for the re-awakenings of your memory.

Thank you,
for everything and for all the things you never did.


Thank you,
for the (awkward) third time we met.

Thank you,
for the longing gaze
for the eyes that never fail
for the memories that never fades.

Thank you,
for counting the days with me
for all the stunning surprises that each new day brings


Thank you,
for another day,
when the sunset is up in the skies
for the wind that blows
for painting the world anew.

Thank you,
for the first phone call I had
within the long boring period of weeks,
to the last coin drop to the booth.

Thank you,
for the moment of truth
for the laughters, smiles, tears and pain.


Thank you,
after the long drought that caused the earth to be barren
for in the end, the rain poured down
and buds appeared, and the flowers bloomed.


Thank you,
for the fourth time we met
beneath the wonderful sunshine of the summer’s day.

Thank you,
again for the moment of truth.
for the words you spoke
for the thoughts you have had
for the kindness you chose to do
for the sense of pride and
the sensibility for prejudice.

Thank you,
for all the days of thoughts and longing;
of the present time or for days
when we chose for day to be a day;
to be no more than what it is today.

Thank you, thank you.

Thank you,
for another year,
for the dreams of a castle in the sand
for all the tenderness of traveling through time….

I have finally found a peace of mind.

Thank you and goodbye.



This poem was written sometime in November 1995.

No comments: