Tuesday, October 31, 2006

An Intruder

Last night I was in my usual habit of chatting online, however, I wasnt chatting at all. I was instead, downloading music. Yup! I was downloading music files being sent by online friends. Seriously, I was! I had downloaded two music files before I went to the bathroom to brush my teeth. I went back in my room after I closed the lights in the common room. My roomates we're all on vacation since it's semestrial break so, I was left alone in the apartment. It wasn't long as I was clearing my bed with some stuff when I noticed the door was shaking as if someone is trying to get my attention by shaking it. Being deaf, I will not be able to hear a knock even if you knock louder unless I am holding something that can send impact of the sound or vibration.
I stared at the door in disbelief. Now who could it be at this hour of the night? I am sure it can't be my roomate as it's soo late in the night besides, she told me she will be back after three weeks and its just less than a week since she left. So, I wondered if it's the guard. But why would the security come up and shake my door? Is there an emergency? Is there a fire? I don't smell any smoke. We had an earthquake a few days or week back. I can't remember though when exactly it was but what I remember was the earthquake was strong because it shook the entire bed. I felt it even I was moving....but that night I didn't feel any earthquake. So I went near the door and quickly double locked it. I was glad I have the habit of locking the door knob otherwise, we'll never know.... Anyway, after double locking the door, the shaking didn't stop. Oh shit! someone is truly outside prolly wanting to get in or for me to open the door but there was no knocking. I went on my knees to look at the bottom of the door with my face on the floor to see if there was light. Surely if this is an emergency, whoever is outside would open the lights as it was completely dark when I turned off all the lights in the common room.
But again, shit! no lights and it was completely dark! I moved away and went to my bed. My laptop was beside me. I was scared shit as hell!!! This is NOT a joke, the door is shaking!!! I typed messages on my laptop, the first person I informed was...icks! my mexican bf... sheesh! No help as to what I will do! I saw another friend online and told him what is happening. He said to call the police. Oh dear, how can I? I'm deaf. Again the door shook. F*@#! HELP! I was trembling that moment but I did not scream. I cannot scream, it's not me. I don't scream or become hysterical in this kind of situation 'cuz if I do that I will break into laughter. It's not me golly and I am serious I DON'T scream for help. I was trying to think what to do, I was aware I was losing my right sense of thinking by asking people online for help. But shit! How can I call? I don't know the police number. The fone at Dad's house was cut and I don't have my address booklet so, I don't know any friends or relatives I can call for help. This is such a BUMMER!!! I saw my cellphone on the table and grabbed it. The first person I sent a text message was my brother Steff (he is 8 years older than me). Next, our eldest brother Ferdie and then the secretary of the building. I asked her to please have the security guard come up and to turn on all the lights in the common room and check the place. It took like forever before I saw lights outside and knew there was help already. When I opened my room door I saw the cleaning lady clutching the keys and the guard was entering the other room beside mine with his gun on the ready. It was real and scary.The cleaning lady had a worried look on her face and I told her what happened.... When the guard came out he went to the bathroom and checked the window. He said everything is okay. Nobody is inside. I asked if he had checked the fire escape. He went there and we followed. He checked first the other room and even checked underneath the bed. Nobody was there. He opened the door leading to the fire escape and checked. Nothing. PHEW!
But I did tell them I saw the door was really shaking as if someone is moving it, trying to get in or calling my attention.They told me it must be the wind. WHAT? I had all my bags hanged at the door, the bags were heavy enough to steady the door and beside, the door wasnt shaking slightly! How can a wind shake a door that violent? They told me not to worry and to lock everything. I left all the lights on in the common room and I didn't sleep until I felt truly tired and sleepy. I tried to do some stuff to make me stay awake as I still feel shaken by the experience and sleep won't come. I even notice I called for my cousin's help in msn. God! this is terrible! Steff sent me a message this morning asking how I am. The secretary of the building also sent me a text message asking how I am and if everything is okay now. I thanked them both and assured them everything is okay and that I am fine now. Steff told me to go home if I will be left alone in the apartment but I cannot do that as I still have work in College.
Anyway, that experience taught me a few things: First of all is to be MORE CAREFUL! 2nd, to have double lock on the door of the common room. 3rd, get a new handset of fone that has special features so I can feel the vibration and know when someone answer my call and lastly is to keep emergency numbers with me at all times!

No comments: