Friday, August 26, 2005

Death and Reunions


My mom died in August 11, 1981. I was 10 years old. Twenty four years have passed since her death and now I'm a grown up. However, to this day I still cannot get over her untimely demise. I still cry every time we visit her grave and I find it hard to hide away my tears. Every year is an ordeal visiting her on her birthday (Nov. 1) cuz I have to control myself. I missed having a mother while growing up although, I have adopted several mothers of my best friends. But still there's no one beyond compare her...

After my mom's death, her side of the family started having reunions every 5 years or so. Her brothers and sisters (she have 10, two including my mom were long deceased at that time) who were residing in the United States would take turns coming home here in the Philippines. We were all happy and we always look forward to this happy reunions... But I wonder if this have to take my mom's life just so they would all be reunited together. Does it really have to take someone to die in order to gather one another and stand together? Why does it have to take someone's life away before others could realize how short time is? Three consecutive reunions and four deaths followed after my mother died, this including one of my godfather... Then, one day something dawned at me and I told my father this: "Dad, this reunion is killing them. It has to stop! Can't you see, someone in the clan dies after every reunion!" My father shrugged and the reunions went on and death followed. The last and biggest reunion was in December 1998 and January 1999. My mom's brothers and sisters all came home in full force. We met every relatives even the ones we never knew exist during Christmas holidays and New Year. It was such a wonderous and happiest reunion of them all. And while we were celebrating, I felt that this would be the last and there would never be another and I knew that death would come to a halt.

Six years later, last summer, one of my mom's brother passed away. I cried at my uncle's wake because I loved him dearly. He had been supportive to us when my mom was suffering from MSE. I never heard him say anything painful to us even when were almost practically depending on him at that time. He has a family too, yet he was never selfish in extending his help. Imagine, supporting his family and half of us (we are 6 siblings) plus in addition my mom was very ill. In his death, he died away from his own brothers and sisters. Nobody came home from the states even after he was burried. No reunion!

Has death also killed reunions? Does it also take death for them to realize how tired and painful everyone is from losing their loved ones? I believe in the saying:" Together we stand, divided we fall." This remain, true to us. But I don't believe it has to take someone's life away in order to stand together. A family should always be united. They are the only ones who you can always run to no matter if you have done the biggest blundder in your life. This is proven true from my family's own experiences, the last was my own blundder (evil grins!). However, I have gotten out successfully over that blunder. Nowadays, death seems to be rampant and fewer reunions. In the span of few months after the Pope John Paul II died several deaths followed in my work place and its painful nobody could stand together and be reunited. Everyone have their own self interest... Death and Reunion together they stand, divided they fall.

No comments: