Friday, September 02, 2005

HOTDOG!

The kids in school where I work, loves hotdogs. Every morning there are lots of hotdogs on stick for breakfast until recess time. The preschool students always have hotdogs as their “baon.” And during activities hotdogs on stick or sandwich would always be abundant. Even during programs and birthday celebrations you will get plenty of hotdogs to eat.

When I was a kid I also love hotdogs even to this day. I remember my parents used to buy a whole pack of hotdogs for me. Mind you, those hotdogs are JUST FOR ME and nobody else. Not even my brothers are allowed to eat them. Simply because that is the only food I want to eat with my rice and it will be a disaster if I run out of hotdogs! My brothers would cook me one or two whenever Mom would be away. I would have hotdogs for lunch until dinner and nothing else so that my Mom or Dad won’t have trouble leaving the house. Well, I was kindda spoiled but I was never a spoiled brat. Aside from hotdogs I also have a different kind of eating utensils. My plate was a light green plastic and I can see my food from underneath the plate. I was small you know, really small and I was 5 years old. My brothers were of course, very tall and every time they put rice on my plate I would look underneath and watch how many scoop of rice they would put. I count every scoop ‘cuz I don’t like too many rice for one single hotdog. However, on some days when Mom would have to be away early I would have two hotdogs or as much as I want just so my brothers who are taking care of me won’t be bothered watching television or listening to their records. I would be content playing in my room after eating hotdogs or I would be just sitting in the dining table playing tea and eating hotdogs.

One summer day, my parents had been away and won’t be back until the weekend. There wasn’t much food except fish and veggies but I had enough hotdogs to last me until my parents get back. So, as usual during lunch I would have hotdogs and I was very excited because I knew what my brothers were having----fried FISH! To my excitement I jumped and ran to the dish rack and took my own plate, spoon and fork then run back to my brother who was near the rice cooker. I was giggling and he was looking at me with an amused grin on his face. “ Aba, marunong ka na palang kumuha ng plato at kutsara tinidor mo. Sa susunod ikaw na kukuha ng pagkain mo. Ikaw na rin magluluto!” (“Oh, now you know how to get your own plate, spoon and fork. So, next time you will be the one to get your own food and cook for yourself!”). I laughed and pinched him on the sides. He took my plate and begun putting rice. He stopped suddenly and looked at me from below my plate. “What are you looking at?” my brother asked. “Nothing!” I retorted giggling. My brother continued to put rice but he also keep watching me. “Tama na!” (Enough!) I said. He looked at me and said he hasn’t put enough rice but I said I could see I had enough on my plate. He was surprised so he looked underneath my plate and realized my secret. The next day, he took a different plate. The plate was porcelain so it was opaque. I bawled when I saw the plate and he laughed. I refused to eat unless my plate was changed. After some kicking and crying effect he finally gave in to me and changed my plate. He sliced my hotdogs and I counted them. I quickly finished my rice and asked for some more since I still have 6 pieces of hotdogs. When he raised my plate I looked underneath and saw him grab one piece. I quickly kicked him and he laughed loud and returned the hotdog. When my parents got home, he told them the story and they laughed.

When I was in college, one night my brother and sister-in-law came home with a cute dog. The dog is male and imported. My brother got it from his brother-in-law who lives across us. My brother said I’m to take care of the dog and his name is “Hotdog.” In short I became the owner of the dog and he was my sole companion inside the house. My brother and sister-in-law were hardly at home so it was always I and Hotdog along with some maids who are always at home. I taught my dog tricks and he was a fast learner. He learned to climb the few steps leading to the bedrooms. Not long he could climb even the tables and bed.

In my room, there were twin beds. It was arranged that way, so any of my friends in college who wants to stay over will have a place to sleep on. However, Hotdog made it his place every time I grant him access inside my room. Sometimes, when it’s raining and there’s a thunderstorm he would go to my room and stay silently on the extra bed. He doesn’t leave even if I go out of the room and shut off the lights. Hotdog is a sweet and loving dog. On weekends I would be sleeping till 9am. It’s been my habit since I don’t have class on weekends. However, he doesn’t like me sleeping late, he expect to see me up by 7:30 am so when I am not yet up at that time during weekends he would scratch the door of my room and it irks my brother because it leaves an ugly scratches. The first time he did this my brother caught him and opened the door. I was still sleeping and he took Hotdog out for a walk. The second time the maid saw him and pulled him away. He was tied outside but he kept barking until my brother went out of the room and let him in. When I woke up I was told of his bad habits. I had the maid keep the key to my room on Friday nights so she can let hotdog in my room at 7am.

The first Saturday, he got inside my room, he quickly jumped on the other bed. My brother later found out I used to let him lie on the extra bed and that was the end of his luxuries. But Hotdog was a good dog too. The next weekend he got inside my room at 7am he licked my cheek (my bed is low!). The next time I made sure I was facing the wall when he comes in however he jumped up on the bed and licked my face. I woke up, pissed and looked at him. He looked back and barked as if saying, “wake up!” The maid laughed, she got the hint of my dog. From then on it has become Hotdog’s job to wake me up not only on weekends but also during weekdays so I won’t miss the bus. He would see me until the gate whenever I leave for school. He would keep barking until the school bus is out of sight…. When I would come home after school he would jump and bark excitedly, he would even run in circle to show how happy he is to see me. I was also happy to see him. However, there are times when I had a long day in school and I would come home sullen or irritated. Usually I would ignore Hotdog. He would bark and bark and would not stop following me unless I patted him on the head and said “Hi Hotdog!” Other times, I truly ignore him and when I do that, he would jump on my legs and cling to me then he would start to hump, LOL! Whenever he does that it makes me laugh and forget what I was so pissed about…. Hotdog also had a habit of annoying other dogs. He got out of the steel fence once and it was funny as I watched him jump on the high hedge and tried to squeeze his big butt out. I was laughing and he got away before I realize he could get stolen or lost so I screamed at the maid “IMPORTED YUNG ASO KO! KUNIN MO!” (My dog is IMPORTED! Go get him!). I saw the maid run after him but the dog was too quick! I was laughing hysterically watching them run.

When I started going home to my Dad on weekends I missed Hotdog and my sister-in-law told me Hotdog missed me too, because he keeps barking at the locked door of my room. Sometimes, he would try to dig on the wooden floor thinking he can probably get inside and see if I’m there or not.

I saw Hotdog several times when I went back after visiting my Dad. Then suddenly he disappeared. I thought the original owner borrowed him so I did not look for him. Then three months came, while having a chat with my sister-in-law, I mentioned why Hotdog wasn’t returned yet. My sister-in-law cupped her mouth and said, “You didn’t know? Ohh, gee!” I frowned and suddenly I felt something hit my chest…. My sister-in-law told me that Hotdog died two months ago and he died because he slipped out of the backyard where the two German dogs were on the loose. Probably Hotdog annoyed them and he was bitten by one of the big dog. My sister-in-law even told me how she saw Hotdog in the kitchen, lifeless. The big dog still had him on its mouth and was shaking him like a Jurassic animal. I cried without shame in front of my sister-in-law and my brother came and I was so furious he didn’t tell me. He was sorry and told me he will get another dog. But he didn’t’ get me another and I didn’t want to have another because, for me nobody can replace Hotdog.

To this day, I only have the happy memories of Hotdog. I don’t feel bitter anymore about his death. Instead, it makes me happy just thinking about him and maybe someday, I will have another dog. I just don’t know when ‘cuz right now I live in a dorm with a roomie and I don’t have a maid to look after my dog. So maybe, when I do, it will be after I get married and you know what name I would want my dog to be called? I want my dog to be named “HOTCAKE!”

No comments: