Thursday, November 03, 2005

Scented Candles (Part II)

Yesterday, I was still posting my blog when my Dad arrived to pick me up. I was caught unaware and he asked why I haven't dressed. I looked at the time on the wall clock, it says 10:45am. I thought they gonna pick me up at 12noon!?! Aw! I haven't took a bath, sheesh! I quickly took a shower and got dressed. When I got out of the shower my half-sister was there. Ohh, my brothers were probably getting impatient again. Well, let them wait cuz we agreed 12noon and they came way too early. We boarded my brother's mini contraptor and off we went. When we got to the cementary it was expected to see some relatives already there. The usual "beso-beso" and "kamustahans."
I started lighting the scented candles first offering to my mom and next to my grandmother and the others. As per our custom, we touch each grave and say "Hi!" or we either call them "Lola, Mommy, Lolo, Uncle Boy!" True to my words, I did not cry this time. It felt so good looking at my mom's grave looking at each letter inscribed in her tomb stone. I was smiling.... We usually stay in the cementary from morning until in the afternoon or sometimes until in the evening. We wait until all relatives who we call the "regulars" have arrived and paid their respect. It was muddy in the cementary that day due to rains. I was glad I wore my old pair of sneakers but not so lucky for my eldest brother's gf (hehehe!). Since we always stay for a very long period of time, we brought foods and drinks. My aunt Guy (My mom's sister) saw me and she called me to shake my hand, she said:"Wow! board exam passer ka na!" "BLOWOUT!" was the cry of others who heard it. Aw! was all I could say. So the taunts among my cousins and brothers started and the laughters went on as they all started talking, telling stories and catching up on each other's lives. It's always like this every year. Talking, eating and laughters all the time. I am amaze sometimes at my family and my mom's family and other relatives' ability to crack jokes and laugh at almost any situation no matter if its a pissing off situation. They are truly the typical Filipinos who can laugh at themselves no matter how stupid they are getting. Oh my, we have no shame! I could only watch them talk and laugh or try to lip read and catch the humor. My best friend among my cousins is out of the country so she wasn't there to translate to me what was the talk all about. I soon got bored and I started playing with the melting candles. I rolled them into a ball and you bet my ass, soon in no time at all my half-sister, my sister-in-laws and cousins followed. We all started rolling melted candles into a ball. We all preferred the scented candles I bought than the cheap ones (LOL!).
We stood in line making melted candles into a ball. It's as thought we are some kind of factory workers and we took a break when we got hungry and our hands were so greasy and tired. It made me remember the old times again. When we were kids we used to do these things every time we are there. It was like the old times indeed except were grown up. Some of my cousins are married and have kids. I watched my aunts and uncles including my Dad and eldest brother. All of them are old now.Their face seems worn out from over the years life has brought them...HAHAHAHA! everyone's laughter broke my reverie and I asked my sister to translate what was so funny. My aunt Guy is in her usual tale but this time she is telling her encounter with the immigrants in Canada and everybody are teasing her to speak English (LOL!). When she got to Canada and the immigrations asked if she can speak English her reply was: "No, I cannot talk in English!" She actually said that in PLAIN ENGLISH! so, everyone laughed out loud. We like it very much when aunt Guy would tell us story because it is usually always funny and amusing or sometimes she can really send you rolling on the floor laughting out loud.
We started packing up to leave home around 5pm. The men helped each other folding the big tent while us the women started cutting the flowers and spreading them on the tombs. We do this because some strangers might steal the flowers and sell it so we always have to cut everything before we leave. We said our prayers twice to our departed relatives before we left and bid each other goodbyes with the usual "beso-beso" again. Only to find out we are all heading on the same direction. Oh my see, how very silly we Filipinos are, we say our goodbyes and make beso more than once or twice. So I guess that's where I get my famous goodbyes attitude. I keep coming back even after I said my goodbye (hahaha!). Next time I will write more about my aunt Guy. ;D

1 comment:

OptyMyst said...

another nice one. what a nice way to share the day, with family and food and laughter.